The Applications Engineer (AE) will be involved in the sales and marketing processes to assist in developing and closing business. The AE will work with various departments, including Sales, Marketing, Analysts and Software Development, to provide technical expertise and assistance to meet the requirements for sales prospects, clients, and partners.
The AE is a problem solver who will provide assistance to the sales staff by gathering client requirements and conducting needs assessments, performing product demonstrations based on those requirements, and answering questions about the technical functionality from the client while also explaining industry-specific jargon to the client. The AE will also develop and deliver training courses and provide client support for product pilots/test drives. The AE will assist in preparing RFI/RFP technical responses for sales prospects.
The AE will provide initial solution requirements and configuration summary to the analyst staff for new clients.
Additionally, the AE will support the company’s marketing efforts to provide a professional and technical voice for the company, including the delivery of presentations and webinars, representation at conferences and exhibitions, and assists in writing technical white papers. The AE is a key player in researching industry trends and products, and presenting information and new ideas to be implemented into new and existing products.
- A minimum of five years of industry experience.
- A basic knowledge of XML, databases or content management systems, XML editing tools, and publishing tools.
- Must remain up to date on their software field, and always be informed and aware of latest industry practices and developments in technology.
- The ability to work as part of a team while maintaining independent thinking.
- Must be highly results driven, a self-starter, good at thinking outside the box, and have an aptitude for innovation.
- Must have good sales and business skills; must be able to understand the value and use of a product in order to better assist the client in determining his or her business needs, and to be able to work out the details of a product and tailor it to address the client's needs.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong oral and written communications skills; public speaking skills.
- Frequent out-of-town, overnight travel is required.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology or engineering, or commensurate experience
- Knowledge of common XML standards such as DITA and Docbook.
- Facility with various XML processing utilities and publishing (For example, DITA Open Toolkit, WebWorks ePublisher, or others).
- Ability to create, maintain, and modify XSLT/XSL-FO style sheets.
Back to Careers